Sunday 14 February 2016

Surface treatment.


I have chosen to varnish the iceboat. I'm using a one component clear high gloss varnish that I apply with a brush. There are several reasons for me choosing this surface treatment. To begin with I like the looks of varnished wood, but it is also easy to work with, does not require a perfect surface to look good as a painted surface would need, repair jobs are easy since you don't have to take color tone in consideration to mention some of the advantages. Of course there are some draw backs also and one of the most obvious is that you have to apply several layers before you get a good surface witch is time consuming.

I started with the hull here one of the first layers of varnish is applied.






A back rest was made of 9 mm plywood. 




 

A desperate attempt to clean the garage before springboard and runner plank will get varnished. Dust is a problem when building in the same space as applying coating! For every layer of  varnish applied the amount of dust in the coating accumulates finally making the surface feel like sandpaper. One way to improve the surface despite the dust is to wet sand the surface before applying last layer of varnish. I used a 400 grit wet sand paper.   





No comments:

Post a Comment