Friday 27 January 2017

Sharpening the runners.



 I was able to arrange so I could use one of the local sailing clubs runner sharpening machine!

This is what she looks like! I rigged the machine back on my trailer so the sharpening was done outside.


There are quite a few possibilities for adjustments. From runner point of view the angle is the most important. Pre adjusted to choose from is 100 degrees and 90 degrees angle. 



Ready to begin. First up is the front runner. I started with 60 grit sand paper and finished with 120 grit paper .



Quite a lot of material is removed. This is after first runner is sharpened.


Ready!



Below an attempt to show the how the runner is sharpened in a 90 degrees angle. My apologies for poor picture quality.



Back at home some oil was applied to the sharpened surface to prevent it from rusting.


No comments:

Post a Comment