Sunday 24 January 2016

Runner plank.

In the plans the rear runner plank is suggested to be made of a straight 45X95 mm  plank and to use wedges to achieve a five (5) degree toe in on the runners. This so that when sitting in the boat the runners will hit the ice in a  ninety (90) degrees angle. Building the runner plank in this way is easy and I'm sure it will work fine, therefore I will leave it as plan b in case my plank turns out to be a failure.

I am trying to make the runner plank as on a DN iceboat with a bent plank to achieve the toe in on the runners. Building the plank in this way is obviously more complicated and much more time consuming than using a straight plank and I'm not sure there are any advantages except that its more fun to build.

Preparations.
About ten years ago I built a strip kayak. I had saved the building jig and now I finally got some use for it again.


The planks sawed to correct length.


Trying out if the planks will bend enough.


Some math was needed to get the angles right.


Applying glue.


The traditional kind of glue clamp is not optimal for this job. It is difficult to get even pressure over the entire plank. But this is what I have available so this is what I try to manage with.


All clamps in place. I tried to get a straight part in the middle witch is the same width as the hull of the boat. Now I just hope the plank will keep its shape when removing the glue clamps.



No comments:

Post a Comment