Wednesday 6 January 2016

Starting the build.

I have chosen an ice boat design by Bernd Stymer that he calls Isabellakiss 2012. The design should be fairly easy to build. The plans can be found and downloaded from Bernds homepage. If you are thinking of starting a Isabellakiss build I recommend to print the plans for both his designs since the plans for the Isabella classic contains a bit more details than the Isabella kiss plans. With Bernds permission I have added a link to his home page:
http://www.isabella-iceboat.com/isabella.html

After studying the plans I started the build by going to one of the local hardware stores and bought the needed material for the ice boat hull. Following material was bought:
Side planks spruce 15 X 90 mm.
Middle plank spruce 28 X 90 mm.
Runner plank spruce 20 X 90 mm (two will be glued together).
Nose plank spruce 15 X 120 mm (two will be glued together).
Birch plywood 6,5 mm for deck and bottom.
Birch plywood 9 mm for backrest.

The frame for the hull was built on our garden table that I had put in level to make sure the hull would become straight. I admit that the building platform could have been more rigid! But it worked decently. When assembling the frame I used screws and water based "white" glue suitable for outdoor use.




No comments:

Post a Comment